Buyer - Agri. Commodities
|Contract types||Temporary Full Time – 12 to 18 months|
JOB TITLE: BUYER – AGRI-COMMODITIES
REPORTS TO: Director, Nutrient Delivery Systems, West Region
CATEGORY: Temporary Full Time – 12 to 18 months
LOCATION: Westlock, AB or Okotoks, AB
Reporting to the Director, Nutrient Delivery Systems – West Region, the Buyer – Agri-Commodities is responsible for the West region, primarily Alberta and BC, agri-commodities availability and procurement, risk management, cash strategy. This position demonstrates commitment, ambition and passion to deliver short and long term success through collaboration, external focus, entrepreneurial spirit, innovative practices and strategic response to internal and external changes. The Buyer is expected to conduct all matters in a manner consistent with the company’s Corporate Values of Innovation, Caring, Capable, and Collaboration.
KEY MEASURES TO SUCCESS:
- Negotiate purchases of agricultural commodities and co-products, maintaining close working relationships with suppliers, transportation companies, customers and manufacturing facilities.
- Ensure daily purchase documentation is accurate and timely.
- Actively contribute, in a true team environment, to achieving the overall business goals and keep management and sales staff current on product development opportunities and techniques.
- Collaborate and provide input into additional value-added potential product and service offerings.
- Participate in industry tradeshows, associations, conferences and other business development events.
- Perform all functions directly related to physical commodities-purchasing, logistics, and account management
- Determine requirements and purchase of bulk commodities from line companies, grain producers , and brokers;
- Maintain/manage vendor contracts and negotiation of new purchase agreements for commodities;
- Establish strategic relationships with key vendors;
- Continuously review and analyze market trends and supply conditions;
- Complete monthly volume purchase and dollar purchase reports;
- Weekly pricing updates of grains, proteins and byproducts;
- Forecasts commodity usages in conjunction with Operations, Sales, Nutrition & Formulation departments;
- Analyze market trends to assist with inventory management;
- Understand competing acreage requirements through net return per acre analysis;
- Addresses any necessary quality issues of commodities and monitors supplier performance;
- Actively participate in supplier audits with Quality Manager(s) and provide feedback from procurement prospective;
- Present commodity market updates to customers, senior management team & sales staff;
- Work with key customers on opportunity sales of commodities;
- Further develop & execute direct grain buying strategy Alberta and BC;
- Maximize profits by providing innovative solutions
- Other duties as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in procurement management in the agri-commodity markets;
- Knowledge of procurement management using an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system;
- Supply Chain Management Diploma or University degree in agriculture or business considered an asset, but not required;
- Experience in the agricultural community is an asset.
- Strong sense of accountability, responsibility and collaboration;
- Excellent communication skills, negotiation skills, and numerical ability;
- Good organization skills, interpersonal and customer service skills;
- A demonstrated willingness and drive to improve and grow the business with a keen sense of profit accountability;
- A strategic business sense, a driven entrepreneurial spirit and a fun and collaborative team orientation;
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, manage priorities, and multi-task, with strong team and management support;
- Understanding of logistics (rail, truck, and container);
- Good computer skills; Microsoft Office Suite.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Temporary (12-18 months) full time position.
APPLICATION PROCESS: If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit an application by Friday, May 8, 2020 or until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants for their interest in Trouw Nutrition Canada Inc.; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No calls please. We are committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from qualified individuals, including women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. Trouw Nutrition Canada Inc. is committed to compliance with all applicable legislation including providing accommodation for applicants with disabilities. Please advise us at any point during the recruitment and selection process if you require accommodation.