Dairy Unit Supervisor
- People Supervision:
- Supervise a staff of 6 full timers (Dairy Technicians) and 8 part timers (Dairy Support);
- Lead the process of interviewing, hiring, onboarding, training, schedule and discipline of current and new employees;
- Support staff’s development through providing feedback and stablishing goals in line with Company’s goals and values;
- Participate on Joint Health and Safety Committee, ensuring that you meet your responsibilities as a supervisor (as defined in the Employment Standards Act).
- Ensure performance and commitment from employee’s to standards, policy’s and regulations.
- Capital Projects:
- Monitor existing facility & equipment’s, ensuring replacement near the end of it’s useful life;
- Work closely with pairs and R&D Operations Manager on planning and prioritizing CAPEX;
- Source and manage vendors during capital projects (up to $250K), ensuring that projects are delivered on budget.
- Finance / Vendor Management:
- Source and manage vendors for ongoing maintenance in the facilities always looking for optimizations of resources and cost;
- Ensure that purchase orders are submitted in a time manner so vendor can be paid;
- Assisting in the budget process as needed;
- Ensure compliance with internal finance policies and procedures;
- Responsible for the monthly inventory
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP):
- Development & revision old SOP’s as needed accordingly with stablished schedule;
- Act as a subject of matter expert for species operational SOP’s;
- Training Staff members and ensuring that the team is signed off before starting the research project;
- Research & Development:
- The Dairy Unit supervisor will be working closely with the Research Assistants, Quality Assurance and Operations Manager while planning and executing Research Projects on farm.
- Make sure staff is trained and available for projects when needed.
PREFERRED HIRING CRITERIA:
- Degree/Diploma in Agriculture (at least 5 years’ experience in dairy industry in a leadership position) or Master’s Degree in animal nutrition or animal welfare with dairy experience;
- Preferably with some business training/experience or equivalent industry;
- Knowledge and experience in all aspects of managing a Canadian dairy herd, including:
- Animal comfort and welfare issues
- Maintenance of dairy records in accordance with the Canadian Quality Milk Program
- Managing young dairy calves in colostrum administration, dehorning, and vaccinating
- Familiarity with synchronization protocols
- Extensive and effective people management experience
- Experience with research herds and or research protocols (an asset);
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Training in Artificial Insemination and in the handling of some hazardous materials and substances;
- Mechanical aptitude to maintain and repair an extensive array of dairy research equipment.
If you are interested in applying for this position, submit an application by Wednesday, November 6th, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest in Trouw Nutrition Canada Inc.; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No calls please. We are committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from qualified individuals, including women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. Trouw Nutrition Canada Inc. is committed to compliance with all applicable legislation including providing accommodation for applicants with disabilities. Please advise us at any point during the recruitment and selection process if you require accommodation.